For over 200 years, this home was occupied by one family! Amazing! Two plaques tell us about this home. An Ontario Heritage Foundation plaque in front of the home at 1444 Queen Street East had this to say:
This property was home to one family for two centuries. Sarah Ashbridge and her family moved here from Pennsylvania and began clearing land in 1794. Two years later they were granted 243 ha between Ashbridge's Bay and present day Danforth Avenue. The Ashbridges prospered as farmers until Toronto suburbs began surrounding their land in the 1880s. They sold all but this part of their original farm by the 1920s. Donated to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1972, it was the family’s estate until 1997. As they changed from pioneers to farmers to professionals over 200 years on this property, the Ashbridges personified Ontario's development from agricultural frontier to urban industrial society.
Location Co-ordinates: 43.665116 -79.322673
Photo by Alan L Brown - April 2004
A 1955 Don Valley Conservation Authority plaque on the property east of the house provides these details:
The Ashbridge family, who came from Pennsylvania to Canada in 1793, settled here and built their home on the shores of the bay which now bears their name.